Thursday, March 17, 2011

A Letter to the Pastor (When you feel like giving up, DON'T!)

Today, March 17, 2011, marks the ninth year of ministry for Enduring Faith Christian Center. Way back in March of 2002, we began this pastoral journey. EFCC started off with only two members (My wife and I) and has grown a great deal since then. I have personally been through many trials and tribulations directly connected to the pastorate. People have come and they have gone. Family members have died. Throughout these tragedies it seemed as if I could not find a friend. Many times I've thought of just giving up, coming up with all the excuses in the world to shut down the church. Lord, these people, your people, ARE TRIPPIN'! They are never on time for church! They're not accountable! They consistently miss Bible Study! It seems as if the things of God are not important to them! Did You really call me to this?!? Ministry has truly taken its toll on me, physically and spiritually. Sometimes I feel like Moses. He went through so much with the people of Israel. Every time they tripped, he prayed. He got to a point where he wearied of them and started to become over-burdened by their consistent complaining. This is so much like the church today: Many folks complaining and reluctant to address what they are complaining about. Moses allowed the people to frustrate him to the point of disobedience, which cost him entrance into the Promised Land. “Wherefore the people did chide with Moses, and said, Give us water that we may drink, And Moses said unto them, why chide ye with me? Wherefore do ye tempt the LORD? And the people thirsted there for water; and the people murmured against Moses, and said, Wherefore is this that thou has brought us up out of Egypt, to kill us and our children and our cattle with thirst?” (Exodus 17:2-3). No matter how Moses prayed for them, stood in the gap for them, or loved them, they still murmured and complained against him. It got so bad that Moses asked God to kill him because of the people! In Numbers 11:14 Moses prays, "I am not able to bear all this people alone, because it is too heavy for me. And if thou deal thus with me, kill me, I pray thee, out of hand, if I have found favour in thy sight; and let me not see my wretchedness.” I believe so many pastors feel like Moses. They try to do the right things but the people focus upon the seemingly wrong things. I have done my best to live a life that could be marked by others as an example. Yet, videos calling me a false teacher have been made, folks that I thought were my friends have slandered my name, and those that I thought loved me showed by their actions they did not. I have seen many a shepherd start off true and end up false. Ministry is not a love for them, but essentially a business. As I progress, I have to embrace the love for pastoring that I possessed when I first started. It's still there, but diminished through all the bureaucracy within the church today. Even as I write this nine years later, there is still a desire to shut the church doors, but Jesus Christ is my Lord and first love. He provides me with the oil to keep on going when I feel like giving up. My family are the wheels on which I ride into my ministerial destiny. Faithful members serve as the brake fluid that prevents me from stopping this car. All in all, as I reflect over the past nine years, it has been a wild ride but I'm glad I took the trip! Thank you, Jesus!

4 comments:

  1. Blses you, Prophet/Pastor Veal, at times I believe that every true Leader that is called of GOD has experience those same feelings, it is thru that, our metal is tested, it is like that Lord revealing to us(His true called ones)who we actually are to Him, Very, Valuable....

    Bishop Monroe Mullins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congradulation on your nine years of Harvesting in Gods vineyard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prophet Veal, you are living proof that MINISTRY IS WORK! You have proven that you are called and chosen by God. He has given you the grace and an anointing to STAND in the midst of difficulties and uncertainties. I don't believe that you will have to take this TEST again. You passed this and your moving forward! Congratualtions on your 9th year of ADVANCING THE KINGDOM OF GOD! You have truly been a blessing to me and my daughters. I pray that God will bless you with a FLOCK of people who first love God and His Word and people who love and appreciate a Man of God who stands for the TRUTH the WHOLE TRUTH and NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH! Your STANDING is NOT IN VAIN! Your wife is a STRONG WOMAN, durable indeed and you will make it as long as you have God and YOUR HELP MEET at your side. You are MORE THAN A CONQUEROR! LOVE MONIQUE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless the Lord, Pastor Veal! This message was heartfelt. It reached my heart! Sometimes, it's a lonely road following the Lord. He warned us that there were few on the straight and narrow road that led to life. So many are still on broadway, and that is such a pity. God still has need of us. Keep praising the Lord and He will carry you through. Don't look to the right or left. Keep looking at Jesus, the author and finisher of your faith. Be encouraged in the Lord. So glad you're a fighter and more than a conqueror. You will make it!

    ReplyDelete